CHEF/ Brendan Connor
RESTAURANT WHISK GOURMET
FACTS: A native Miamian and graduate of College of Charleston. His culinary career began as a dishwasher, rising through the ranks in some of Low Country’s top kitchens. In 2007 he opened Whisk with his sibling Kristin.
Recipes from our Town Center Chefs
4 full racks of baby back ribs
2 bottles porter or extra stout
2 medium white onion, julienne
1 cup brown sugar + 1 cup your favorite
bbq dry spice mix combined
1 small head red cabbage
Char grill (gas or charcoal)
Oven Safe metal or glass dish that fits
on your covered grill.
plastic wrap – aluminum foil
your favorite RED bbq sauce
12-24 hours prior to beginning:
– very carefully score underside of racks with a sharp knife in one direction, turn 90 degrees and score in opposite direction making “diamond” shapes.
– very liberally rub sugar and spice mix mixture over ribs.
– place in container, cover tightly with plastic and store, refrigerated, overnight then, thinly slice cabbage. Rinse under water until water runs clear. Dress cabbage with italian vinaigrette to liking. Let sit overnight.
– Light grill to high heat
– Liberally season ribs with salt and pepper.
– grill ribs until lightly charred on all sides (about 5 min per side)
– place ribs in ovensafe container and spread onions over ribs
– pour 1.5 bottles of porter over ribs. Drink 0.5 bottle porter.
– fill 1 empty porter bottle with water and pour over ribs – The ribs should be submerged 3/4 with liquid
Cover ribs in container tightly with plastic wrap, then aluminum foil. It is very important to have no holes in the aluminum foil. Place container on grill using indirect heat method (turn off one side of your gas grill or move charcoal to one side of your coal burning grill) maintaining temperature between 250-300 degrees. Your container should not be sitting over the heat source, but opposite it. Maintain temp for 2-2.5 hours and uncover. Carefully remove ribs from liquid and baste with bbq sauce. Finish on grill until charred to liking and serve immediately.
Serve with prepared cole slaw and the rest of the porter. Enjoy!